At Cigna, we’re proud to be a mission-driven company – devoted to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We have a powerful inspiration – knowing the work we do improves lives – and it’s our North Star, guiding us in creating a better future for our customers and clients – and a better world for all.
Our purpose fuels our long-standing commitment to championing the healthy growth of our customers, clients, coworkers and communities. In 2021, that meant a significant focus on protecting their health and well-being as we navigated a second year of the pandemic. We hosted and volunteered at COVID-19 vaccination clinics, supported access to testing and treatment and redoubled our ongoing efforts to address the growing challenge of health inequities. The actions we’ve taken throughout one of the most challenging times in history show how important it is to us to be a responsible corporate citizen. We’ve worked to be a leader in making a positive impact on society for many years. For example, we’ve supported sustainability and socially responsible practices as a longstanding signatory to the United Nations Global Compact.
Today, as part of our Cigna Connects program, we are advancing a wide range of environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives. Our Cigna Connects Coporate Responsibility Report outlines key actions we took throughout 2021 to continue our ESG leadership.
Four Key Areas of Impact
Our program also reflects how we’ve considered where needs are great and where we are in a position to do more. We embrace this responsibility and have focused our ESG program to align with our mission, what’s most important to us as a company and where we can achieve the greatest impact. With our vision for healthy growth, we focus on four areas, each recognizing that health is the backbone of a strong, thriving society.
Here are some of the ways we had an impact in each area in 2021:
1. Healthy Environment
- We joined with companies around the globe to pledge to transition to 100% renewable electricity by 2030.
2. Healthy Society
- We are helping to eliminate barriers that contribute to health disparities and improve access to care through 142 grants funded by our Cigna Foundation.
- Our teams continued to help at-risk communities protect themselves against COVID-19 by providing free COVID-19 vaccinations and vaccine safety education as part of our Community of Immunity program.
3. Healthy Workforce
- We are holding ourselves accountable to advancing our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) commitments and published our first Diversity Scorecard.
- Our efforts to advance DEI are being recognized:
- 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index – Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality 2022 (marking 10 years in a row).
- #24 on DiversityInc’s Top 50 Diverse Companies list for 2022, up nine spots from 2021 and up 18 since 2020.
- 100% on the 2021 Disability Equality Index for the seventh year in a row.
- We continue to evolve our employee programs to meet the dynamic working environment, including by making it easier for our coworkers to take leave to care for loved ones with COVID-19.
4. Healthy Company
We have a long-standing commitment to being an ethical, responsible organization, and we continue building on our rigorous, well-established program with a range of efforts, including:
- Protecting the sensitive data of our clients and customers by reviewing and updating our largescale cybersecurity incident response playbooks to ensure best-in-class preparedness.
- Supporting our commitment to a responsible supply chain as we remain on track to achieve $1 billion in annual diverse supplier spend by 2025.
Our Cigna Connects Coporate Responsibility Report shares more detail about our priorities and the impact we achieved in 2021. Although our work is never done, I couldn’t be more proud of our teams for bringing our mission to life in ways that are creating a better future for people and communities around the world.
It’s encouraging to receive recognition from others for the progress we’ve made. We were included on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for the fifth consecutive year and on 3BL Media's 100 Best Corporate Citizens list for the eighth consecutive year. While it’s gratifying to be honored in these ways, our motivation to keep driving positive change comes from a much deeper place, and it’s powered by our purpose.
We will keep challenging ourselves – and we’ll never stop asking what more we can do. We’ll continue to lead with innovation and with commitment so that we can support the healthy growth of individuals, companies and communities – and keep making the world a better place.
Healthy Growth: Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility Report
As part of our Cigna Connects program, we are advancing a wide range of environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives.