Cigna Collaborative Care
Cigna CEO David Cordani talks about collaborative care video July 2012.
What is Cigna Collaborative Care?
• A multi-specialty group (example: Holston Medical Group in northeastern Tennessee)
• A fully integrated delivery system, including doctors and facilities (example: Piedmont Physicians Group in Atlanta)
• A Physician Hospital Organization (example: Health Choice in Memphis)
• An Independent Physician Association/Independent Practice Association (example: Renaissance Physician Organization in Houston)
Regardless of practice type, the common thread is that the medical group must be willing to accept responsibility and accountability for achieving improved health, affordability and patient experience.
The medical group is rewarded through a pay for value structure if it meets targets for improving quality and lowering medical costs.
A key component to these programs is the care coordinator – typically a registered nurse employed by the medical group who works with individuals, especially people with chronic conditions, to ensure they get the screenings and follow-up care they need and have access to educational materials that can help them manage their health. Care coordinators work closely with Cigna's case managers and help their patients access Cigna's clinical support programs, such as chronic condition management (diabetes, heart disease) and lifestyle management programs (weight, stress, tobacco).
What is Cigna Doing?There are now 89 Cigna Collaborative Care arrangements with large physician groups in 27 states. These programs encompass more than;
• 36,000 doctors, including: -
• 18,000 primary care physicians.
• 18,000 specialists.
• Cigna and Health Care Professionals
Map and Program ListCigna has been at the forefront of the accountable care organization movement since 2008. We expect to achieve our goal to have one million customers getting care through 100 of these arrangements with large physician groups in 2014.
- Newsroom Home »
- Cigna Media Contacts
- News Releases
- Corporate Responsibility
- Cigna in the News
- Health Care Reform
- About Cigna
- Knowledge Center